Early Onset Parkinson’s Disease CLG Terms of Membership
This document is the Terms of Membership (the “Terms”) as referred to in the Constitution of Early Onset Parkinson’s Disease (“the Company”) and should be read in conjunction with the Articles of Association of the Company, in particular (without limitation) Articles [5-7]. This document deals with the arrangements that apply to membership of the Company.
- Membership Categories
The Company categories of are,
2.1 Full Member
2.2 Friend of the Company Member
The rights attaching to each category of membership are as set out in paragraph 5 of these Terms.
- Admission to Membership
- The Directors of the Company will consider applications for membership from any person meeting the criteria for membership set out in paragraphs 3.2 – 3.4 below and meeting the specific requirements of the category of membership for which they are applying, in accordance with paragraph 5 below.
- Applicants for membership will be required to complete a membership application form and to pay the appropriate annual fee for their category of membership, where applicable. Upon acceptance, the term of membership shall be on a yearly basis. Renewal of membership shall occur on the first of January each year subject to receipt of payment of the annual membership fee. 3.3 To be eligible for membership, an applicant must satisfy the Board that they subscribe to the Company’s values, which values comprise:
- Raising awareness of early onset Parkinson’s disease.
- Advocating to government, health authorities and other such agencies and organisations, for specific needs of persons with early onset Parkinson’s.
- Providing peer support and information.
- Complying with the highest standards of Governance, Accountability and Transparency applicable to the Company.
- Collaborating with other national and international organisations with similar or aligned values to enhance services.
- To be as informed as possible about, and participate in, research and development in to Parkinson’s.
New members must subscribe to these values by confirming in writing that fact on the membership application form. Each renewal of membership will be a deemed confirmation of acceptance and acknowledgement of these values.
- Applicants for membership must satisfy the Board (at its discretion) that they support the Company’s vision which is:
“that, through the endeavors of the Company that the quality of life for people with early onset Parkinson’s and their families will be enhanced and that they will be presented with opportunities to better link into a wider range of improved relevant services & supports”.
- General Provisions relating to Membership:
- Members are requested to quote their name and membership number to avail of preferential member fees, rates and services.
- The Directors reserve the right to withdraw membership from Members that do not adhere to the Terms which shall be exercised in accordance with these Terms and the Articles of Association of the Company.
- A Member may terminate their membership at any time by notice in writing in accordance with the Articles of Association of the Company.
- The Directors have the right to amend, alter or add to these Terms at their discretion. Notification of any such amendment, alteration or addition will be sent in writing to all Members within 30 days of adoption of such new Terms.
- The annual Membership Fee is €25 per annum (subject to any change to this made at the discretion of the Board). Membership Fees are due on 1st January each year (“Annual Payment Date”).
4. Annual Renewal of Membership
- Membership will be automatically renewed each calendar year subject to there having been no termination of membership of that Member pursuant to the Articles of Association of the Company and subject to satisfaction of the provisions of this paragraph 4.
- Notification of renewal shall be circulated at least three weeks in advance of the Annual Renewal Date. Members who do not pay the annual fee due from them, by the Annual Payment Date shall cease to be members on that date. In the case of free membership, renewal will be automatic, unless that member has advised the Company that he/she does not wish to renew their membership.
- In the case of an Advocator where the Full Member who nominated them for membership has not renewed their membership or has otherwise had their membership terminated in accordance with the Articles of Association and these Terms, that Advocator’s membership shall not be renewed, and the Company shall notify the an Advocator accordingly in writing.
- The Directors may request such information from any member as they consider necessary to determine that member’s continued entitlement to free membership in accordance with paragraph 5 below. If a member ceases to be entitled to free membership, its membership will only be renewed upon receipt of a membership application and the appropriate annual fee by not later than the Annual Payment Date. This application needs to be done on a yearly basis. Any member that ceases to be entitled to free membership must notify the Company that it is no longer entitled to free membership.
- In the event of a member ceasing to be a Member during an annual term, the Company shall have no obligation to refund any part of the Annual membership fee for that period.
5 Categories of Member
5.1 Full Member
Any person with early onset Parkinson’s shall be entitled to apply to become a Full Member. Full Members shall have the right to receive notice of all meetings of the Company and to attend and vote thereat. The membership fee is paid by the Full member.
Full Members have the right to nominate candidates for election as Elected Directors pursuant to and in accordance with the Articles and the Election Rules (as defined in the Articles).
5.2 Friend of Company Member
Volunteers, Co-opted Directors, people with an interest in Parkinson’s and who work with persons with Parkinson’s and who have declared their interest in participating in the Company and who also agree to become registered as a member of the Company, may be admitted as a Member of the Company in this category. Friend of the Company Members shall have the right to receive notice of all meetings of the Company and to attend and vote thereat.
Anyone wishing to become a Friend of the Company member must pay in advance the Annual Membership Fee and pay it annually thereafter on each Annual Renewal Date as a condition of membership.
Friend of the Company Members have the right to nominate candidates for election as Elected Directors pursuant to and in accordance with the Articles and the Election Rules ( as defined in the Articles).
Any person who is a Friend/Family Relation/Carer of a person suffering from Parkinsons shall be entitled to propose an Advocator, subject to being nominated by a Full Member. An Advocator shall have such rights and privileges as may from time to time be granted by the Directors and prescribed by the Company in these Terms but he/she shall not receive notice of meetings of the Company but can attend, however they will not be entitled to vote thereat. An Advocator does not pay the fee as it is covered by the Full member’s fee. As the Advocator is proposed by the Full member this only gives the Full member the right to vote.
Any person who is a researcher, health professional exercise coach or otherwise professionally involved in providing services to people suffering with, or caring for persons with, Parkinson’s, or any person who works with the Company to delivery support, information, research, advocacy and other services for the benefit of members, may apply to become an Associate.
An Associator shall have such rights and privileges as may from time to time be granted by the Directors and prescribed by the Company in these Terms, but he/she shall not be entitled to receive notice of meetings of the Company or vote thereat. There is no fee to be paid for this membership.
- Member Adherence to Company Values
6.1 Each member has an obligation to the Company to adhere to the Values of the Company as set out in paragraph 3.3 of these Terms.
- Any concerns about any Member’s adherence to the Company’s values that are brought to the attention of the Directors will be reviewed by the Board.
- The reasons for the concern will be considered in detail by the Board.
- If the Board reasonably believe that the concerns indicate that the Member in question is not adhering to these Terms, a report from the Company Secretary will be brought to the next scheduled Board meeting.
- If the Board concur with the recommendation of the Company Secretary, it shall commence cessation of membership of that Member pursuant to its powers under Article [6.3] and the member in question will be informed in writing by the Company of such proposed cessation of its membership accordingly.
- In the event of the notification to a Member pursuant to paragraph [6.5 above], the Member in question shall be informed of the appeal rights available to them in accordance with this paragraph and as set out herein.
- Within 14 days of such a board decision pursuant to paragraph [6.5 above], the member will receive in writing notice of this decision and the reasons for it. They will also be informed that if they want to contest this decision, they should contact the Company Secretary in writing who will organise for them to be heard in a meeting of the board of Directors. Alternatively, or in addition, the relevant member may submit a written statement which shall be taken into consideration by the Directors in making their final determination of cessation of membership.